This is my first Monthly Update and my first blog post on my site, so it’s appropriate that it is going to kick off with a bang. Here’s what’s going on in my life right now, what I’m working on during August, and what my goals are for this month.
Blaseball and the Rest of My Life
I’m writing this blog post in the midst of blaseball’s postseason round 2. My team (the Chicago Firefighters , WAFC 🔥) is out, unfortunately, so all us Fighters fans are stuck in the party zone for now.
If that last paragraph is incomprehensible to you, clearly you are not a blaseball fan, and you should be. Check out the official site or the collaborative fan wiki for more information, but long explanation short, blaseball is a splort about rooting for your team, hoping your favorite player doesn’t get incinerated, and voting on new decrees to change the rules of blaseball. I’m currently obsessed with it and you should be too.
Outside of blaseball, however, I’ve been pretty busy throughout July with personal matters. I won’t go into detail, but suffice it to say I haven’t gotten a lot of game development done. I did publish a couple of mini games: Matches and striking lightning off my teeth, but progress on my major projects has been slow going.
Speaking of major projects…
August 2020 Projects
Here’s the list of projects, in the order I want to complete them:
- Heretic + Martyr, my Attack and Dethrone God Jam game
- A Lone Amateur Detective, a hack of Alone Among The Stars by Takuma Okada.
- Stand Up: Reignited, my rerelease/remastered edition of Stand Up
- A personal game.
- An as-yet untitled mermaid ttrpg that hacks up PbTA’s system into something more streamlined.
As you can see, I have a lot on the docket, and this doesn’t even account for all the other ideas far down the line. So clearly, I need some concrete goals for this month.
August 2020 Goals
My game design goals for August are as follows:
- I want to put the finishing touches on Heretic + Martyr and publish it. The game is 98% complete, and just needs some final edits before it’s publishable; the only thing holding me back was that creative slump of July.
- A Lone Amateur Detective is probably about 70% done, so I want to just sit down one day and finish it up.
- Work more on Stand Up: Reignited and get it to a point where I can confidently project a release date.
On a more personal note, my other goals for August are:
- Advertise my services as a tutor.
- Set up a schedule for posting blog updates here, to keep consistency.
- Stay active in the fan communities I’m in currently.
- Do more coding projects!
🤞 I hopefully want to keep these goals up and be able to strike them off the next monthly update. This quarantine era has really sapped my ability to keep a consistent structure in my life and I want to get back on track with that.
Music: folklore (2020) by Taylor Swift, Silo (2020) by the Altogether, and The Front Bottoms.
Movies: The Old Guard (2020) dir. Gina Prince-Bythewood.
Comics: Haikyuu!! by Haruichi Furudate and Kill Six Billion Demons by Tom Parkinson-Morgan.
Games: Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, and blaseball.com.
Shows: Brand New Animal/BNA (Netflix), Deca-Dence (Funimation), Warrior Nun (Netflix), and Cursed (Netflix).
Books: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (yes, I have technically been reading it for about 8 months now)
Podcasts: The Magnus Archives, Friends At The Table, Face Jam, and Red Web.